Development of jsonforms-vuetify-renderers

Hi @sdirix,

What is the plan going forward for merging new features for jsonforms-vuetify-renderers project ? How soon we can expect this to move forward ? The reason why I’m asking is that I do have project that depends on the library and wanted to get some clarification how soon we can expect releases when new PRs are created and what is the timeframe to review and accepts those pull requests and eventually to have a new release for the library. Also the PR that is adding new components also contains some fixes for existing components and I do not want to go down the road of creating a custom releases from my cloned project.

Krasimir

Hi Krasimir,

The jsonforms-vuetify-renderers are maintained on an equal footing to the rest of JSON Forms for the foreseeable future.

Generally speaking we try to handle all incoming PRs as fast as possible. However we have to split our limited time between the maintenance and further development of the core and seven related JSON Forms related Github repositories, their PRs, releases and issues and of course this discussion board. Therefore, depending on our workload, there can be some delay between answers from the team. We also offer professional support including guaranteed response times and feature prioritization.

However, usually when a developer contacts us, e.g. they strongly require a release so they can consume the latest features, we usually are very accommodating and spin up an intermediate pre-release, especially so when they contributed in the past.

Now specifically to your questions:

What is the plan going forward for merging new features for jsonforms-vuetify-renderers project ? How soon we can expect this to move forward ?

We usually encourage to ask beforehand whether a certain feature has a chance to make it into JSON Forms. Every new feature is also always an additional maintenance burden and especially so when the feature is not used in any of our own projects as we’re then unfamiliar with it in practice.

Therefore it always depends on the size and nature of this features. Everything which is directly related to the JSON Schema specification has good chances to go forward quickly even if not used by ourselves. Contributions which introduce additional runtime dependencies or break backward compatibility are usually under much more scrutiny and therefore may take more time to get in. Features which are barely related to JSON Schema, like specialized custom renderers, are usually better kept in their respective application projects.

what is the timeframe to review and accepts those pull requests and eventually to have a new release for the library.

As indicated above I can’t give any concrete time frame for open source community contributions (i.e. from non paying clients). It really depends on the quality of the PR, the nature of the feature and our work load. However we usually try to get things in as quickly as possible when all open questions are answered. Regarding releases, we’re usually willing to spin up a prerelease in case that a contributor needs one and indicates as such. Independent of that we usually prerelease at least every few weeks.

Also the PR that is adding new components also contains some fixes for existing components and I do not want to go down the road of creating a custom releases from my cloned project.

A PR only containing fixes for existing components has a very good chance to go through really quickly. So if you need them I would like to recommend to open a PR solely containing them.

I hope this helps :wink: